Re: [tlug] VPS providers in Japan

Thanks to everyone for a lot of precious feedback.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:49 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
That was my first question. I have a couple Linodes, one of which is in
the Tokyo datacenter. From a quick look at the forever.net page, the
significant differences are that forever.net is about 1/3 the price of
Linode, and that it uses KVM instead of Xen. I don't know about AWS as
i've not used that service.

The fact that we are using KVM instead of Xen is an important point I believe. We do not plan on providing Xen instances, for different reasons (technology has improved a lot and we do not see the issues we had before with memory management, but at the same time KVM based machines have also improved a lot and loss in term of performances due to hardware virtualization is minimal) but mostly because we want to handle all servers the same way.

Forever.net's concept would be to handle VPS and dedicated servers the same way, in order to have the same interface on both cases. Some differences are unavoidable (reboot time for a dedicated server is usually 3~4 minutes, while a VPS will finish booting our rescue image in 15 seconds).