Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 20 June 2014 12:16, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
> Getting back to my original post...
>
> On 9 June 2014 23:10, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
>> Three days ago an updated kernel and headers arrived for
>> 10.04, taking it to 2.6.32-61. I updated (as usual), then shut the system
>> down, as I was going away for the weekend. When I rebooted tonight
>> it was a disaster - windows freezing randomly all over the place.
> [...]
>> Sooo, I'm back to 2.6.32-60 now (via Grub Customizer), but I suspect
>> that I may be driven away from 10.04 after all this time.
>
> 2.6.32-62 has just arrived, so I have the install-or-not decision.
> I Googled around (as one does) and found several people reporting
> that the freeze-up doesn't happen with 2.6.32-62, so I'm taking the
> plunge. I'll know tomorrow if it's been a disaster, but I can always

For the record, there has been no freezing with 2.6.32-62. Whatever they did
in 2.6.32-61 has been fixed. I can continue with 10.04 for a while yet.

My wife has stopped using my old Thinkpad, which I originally had
Fedora on, and she'd been running XP on it. I think I'll try installing
14.04 on in for a look-see at Unity and Japanese input issues. It's
only got 1GB of RAM so it might wheeze a bit.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University