Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
> My wife has stopped using my old Thinkpad, which I originally had
> Fedora on, and she'd been running XP on it. I think I'll try installing
> 14.04 on in for a look-see at Unity and Japanese input issues. It's
> only got 1GB of RAM so it might wheeze a bit.

Quite frankly, I never had an issue with Japanese input after having
installed Ubuntu numerous times on several machines.  Of course, I
don't use Japanese much...only in e-mails and LaTeX occasionally.

Agree that it still isn't as straight-forward as selecting a language,
clicking Install, and everything is done.  For what it's worth, I've
bookmarked this which has worked for me for 14.04, too:

http://www.localizingjapan.com/blog/2013/10/20/japanese-input-on-ubuntu-linux-13-10-saucy-salamander/

As for Unity...well, maybe I've come to accept all of its problems
because I'm not bothered by it much anymore.  Just like being a
Windows user and accepting that restarting while in the middle of
writing document is part of the normal workflow.  :-)

Ray