[tlug] Latex for translation

I recently took a translation job of a ronbun: to my astonishment, perhaps for the first time in 25 years, the customer apologised for not having a MS-whirred file. And I said "Yes I can do Latex" (just guessing).

I can edit the file, easy, but I get all sorts of errors trying to "compile" it: as far as I can see this is all about "literally" millions of "packages" which I might or might not have. The source starts with

\documentclass{jarticle}

and it said "jarticle.cls not found". So I changed it to "article" and this went away. Trouble is his goes on and on - now it can't find "proof.sty". I don't know whether this is something I should have been given or what. Can anyone suggest my best approach - either how I untangle this myself, or if anyone could perhaps look at the header and say "You need to change A B and C" or "You need to ask the author for X and Y". In particular if anyone has ideas on handling translating Latex docs from Japanese to English.

Thanks in advance
Brian Chandler