Re: [tlug] Latex for translation

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:
> \documentclass{jarticle}
>
> and it said "jarticle.cls not found". So I changed it to "article" and
> this went away. Trouble is his goes on and on - now it can't find
> "proof.sty". I don't know whether this is something I should have been
> given or what. Can anyone suggest my best approach - either how I
> untangle this myself, or if anyone could perhaps look at the header and
> say "You need to change A B and C" or "You need to ask the author for X
> and Y". In particular if anyone has ideas on handling translating Latex
> docs from Japanese to English.

I haven't had any experience with translating, but if you're trying to
get a LaTeX file to compile, you just need to keep searching for
missing packages.  jarticle.cls is a legitimate class, but since you
are translating it, renaming it to article.cls is a good first step.

I think you need to double-check that you have all of the files
necessary to compile it.  LaTeX can pull in files from other
directories.  If the author can assure you of this, then it's just a
matter of finding the style files.

Under Linux, I can do this:

$ sudo apt-file search proof.sty
texlive-latex-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/akktex/akkmathproof.sty
texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/lkproof/proof.sty
texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/piff/newproof.sty
texlive-latex-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/stex/sproof/sproof.sty
texlive-latex-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/stex/sproof/sproof.sty.ltxml
texlive-math-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/synproof/synproof.sty
texlive-science:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/computational-complexity/ccproof.sty

So, proof.sty is in the texlive-latex-extra package.  And I would
install that (hoping that the proof.sty the author used is the same as
the one mentioned above).  Alternatively, you can try to find .sty
files in CTAN.  Of course, the author can download a proof.sty and
modify it and put it earlier in the search path.  Hence my suggestion
to make sure you have everything needed to compile.

If possible, ask the author to compile it and send the output from
latex to you (i.e., what is sent to the screen).  You will then see
which files are being pulled from system directories and which from
his/her home directories.  And then, explicitly ask for those files.
For example, this is running latex on a file I was just working on:

$ latex file.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./file.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <3.9h> and hyphenation patterns for 4 languages loaded.
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/powerdot/powerdot.cls
Document Class: powerdot 2014/01/01 v1.5 powerdot presentation class (HA)
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xkeyval/xkeyval.sty
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/xkeyval.tex
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/keyval.tex)))
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size11.clo)
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty

Obviously, the files in /usr/share/texlive/... were installed via my
Ubuntu package manager and not manually into my home directory.

Hope this helps!

Ray