Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo (Very OT)

Nicolas Limare writes:
 > >> While it can certainly have drawbacks, it has the benefit of
 > >> average citizens being able to understand the law without having to
 > >> look up case history. :)
 > >
 > > Not unmitigated.  It also means that moving from jurisdiction to
 > > jurisdiction you can have rather different interpretations until the
 > > legislature catches up and fixes the ambiguity
 >
 > I don't get it.

"Ambiguity" is the key word.  Different judge, different opinion.
Happens in all legislation to some extent.  And you have little
redress except to appeal (expensive and you may be out of business
before the appeal is heard) if you get a judge who's got an unusual
opinion.  Heaven help you if the appellate judge has the unusual
opinion and that's where the lower court judge got her opinion.

 > where one state == one law, either you move within the state and the
 > law is the same everywhere for everyone,

If it were that simple, there would be no need for courts, especially
not higher courts.  Judges decide which laws and which clauses apply
in a given case.  Many such decisions are "open and shut", as we say
in the U.S., but not all are.