Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 2013-10-13 at 23:28:02 Lyle H Saxon wrote:
> I have to sometimes first [Ctrl]+[Space] and *then* [Shift]+[Space]
> to get to 日本語, although once there, just [Shift] + [Space] gets
> me into and out of Japanese input

Sorry i'm a bit late on this. Maybe it is still useful:

I suspect that [Ctrl]+[Space] is switching which input method you are
using. On my system, i have 2 input methods available: "Anthy" and
"Direct". Once you have selected the input method that is capable of
Japanese, then you have to switch input mode. I have my system
configured with 3 input modes that i can cycle between: "Direct input",
"Hiragana", and "Katakana".

It is possible that my use of the terms "input method" and "input mode"
are specific to Anthy; other input methods may use slightly different
terminology. But, you probably want to look for something along those
lines and set your default input method to not be direct input. Then you
shouldn't have to hit [Ctrl]+[Space] anymore. You might also be able to
change the key bindings to be more to your liking; i have my machine set
up to use [logo]+[space] since the logo key is not (by default) used for
much on a Linux box and thus does not conflict with other software.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com