Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:16:11 +0900
- From: Lyle H Saxon <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- References: <CACDLhbbQOXx_A=gS77bzbG7-cSLysxVy9E136j2RVXWQeH3UPA@mail.gmail.com> <3174842.KbRkREmKVW@dan>
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <email@example.com> wrote: > On 2013-10-08 at 00:57:13 Lyle H Saxon wrote: >> Is Iceweasel an acceptable browser > > That's what i use on Debian. You can also install Google Chrome, Opera, > etc... basically whatever browser you want. Despite not being a KDE > user, i even use Konqueror sometimes if i just want to test a page > (Konqueror loads really fast). I suppose you could even install IE with > a bit of work. I might want to use Chrome, but certainly not IE [shudder!]. >> 1) The installation took a Really Long Time. > > Did you do a network install? And if so, do you have a fast internet > connection and did you choose a relatively local mirror? I started with a 400MB (or so) CD and the picked a mirror somewhere (I've forgotten where I decided on - I didn't see anything very close). There didn't appear to be any mirrors in Japan at all, or if there were, I didn't see them. Slow stretches when downloading appeared to be slow on the other end, not this end. >> Any advice about good on-line resources, etc. for Debian appreciated. > > I actually have good luck with the Ubuntu and Gentoo forums. My Google > searches often end up finding things in one of those 2 places, and > usually the info applies just fine to Debian. Debian has its own forums > and wiki, but they are (in my limited experience) less useful. That's a useful thing to read! I had imagined I would end up referencing Debian forums pretty exclusively.... Thanks for the feedback! Lyle
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Debian 7.1 New User / General Advice?
- Next by thread: [tlug] Weird issue with gnome and scim.
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links