Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, s smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 08/26/2013 09:06 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
>> Ideally, it would be nice to have English menus combined with the
>> ability to input text in Japanese.
>>
> Hi Lyle.  I'm working on a Mint 15 system I installed a couple of days
> ago -- which is based on Uabuntu.  I have a workstation in the office
> with Ubuntu 12.10 and another laptop with the same thing.  All installed
> with no problems with exactly the options you mention above.  They are
> all pretty much vanilla installs.  And I've been using Ubuntu since
> 10.somethingorother with no real problems.
>
> The Ubuntu machines are all running the gnome legacy stuff if that makes
> any difference.
>
> Under settings->language support there is a selection for menu
> languages.  You should have only english (not 日本語) checked.  Also
> under system->language support select ibus for your input method and on
> ibus preferences you need to select the japanese input method and add anthy.
>
> Do you have ibus and anthy installed?  I believe when I installed, they
> were installed when I did the language setup.  Also I install kasumi.
>
> I used synaptic and have kasumi, ibus, ibus-qt4 (for anki) and anthy
> installed.  Make sure you have those, then on my machine under system
> tools there is a button to 'start ibus' and you should be able to add anthy.
>
> What is different about your install that makes it difficult?  Is it
> somehow an odd machine?  I can hear the frustration.  頑張って

Thank you very much for the details!  I don't have access to that
machine today, but I'll get back to it in a couple of days.  ibus is
installed, but I'm not sure about anthy... maybe that's part of the
problem.  Also not sure about kasumi.  Thanks again for the detailed
response and I'll let you know how it goes.  I may have messed
something up while trying different things, so the best route may be
to start over - still, before I do that, I'll spend at least a little
time trying to get the current installation going.

Lyle