[tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

Here we go again...  I'm helping a friend set up his computer, and
after installing Kubuntu 12.04 LTS first as an English language
install, and then changing that to Japanese (menus etc. are now in
Japanese), I'm not having any luck getting Japanese input working.

Any pointers on getting past this barrier (again!) welcome.

I should have written down every single step taken, but I was thinking
I could get it going, and eager to finish the installation....  I'll
start recording steps taken from here out.

Lyle