Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

Lyle, I got this working a year ago with Kubuntu 11.04. I hope things have not changed too much since them (none of my machines broke down when I updated them to 12.04).

  1. Install the following packages: ibus, ibus-anthy, ibus-gtk, ibus-m17n
  2. Go to the “K” menu -> applications -> system -> input setting framework
  3. A box will show up with the ibus configuration options (and maybe asking you if it should start ibus, say yes)
  4. configure your desired shortcuts in the “general” tab. Make sure to configure keys for “enable-disable” and “next input method”. In the “input methods” tab, add “Japanese->anthy” and “other->latin pre”
  5. Close the configuration screen. Right-click on the ibus icon in your tray bar (a little keyboard with a ball) and select “restart” — you are good to go!

(from my blog at http://claus.castelodelego.org/archives/609)

Hope this helps. (PS: the latin-pre is to get latin accents working, you can skip that)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
> I've installed Ubuntu several times using an English language install, and
> adding Japanese later. It's never been a problem and I've got Japanese
> input working every time.

Very cool!  Any details on the steps taken?

fixed broadband Internet services to individuals and corporations.
Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

--
Claus Aranha
http://claus.castelodelego.org