Re: [tlug] Anybody have a unused Java book about

On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Shaun Hughes wrote:

> In a couple of weeks I'll be taking a free Functional Programming Principles in Scala course (via Coursera.org, by some guy named Martin Odersky who supposedly knows a bit about Scala),

I've just taken that course myself, and would highly recommend it to
anyone interested in learning functional programming, even if you
don't care much about Scala. The course is based on SICP[1], which is
the most holy of books in the FP world (I think Curt is on record as
saying that any serious programmer should read it, and I certainly
agree!). The assignments are really interesting, and despite my Lisp
background, I did find a couple of them quite challenging!

And you're right, that Odersky chap does know his Scala! I can't
imagine how he learned it so well...

>  I've come to the realization that having a bit of prior knowledge about Java might be helpful.

Not really, actually. He builds everything up on Scala from first
principles, so Java doesn't even enter into the equation.

Anyway, enjoy the Scala course. I think FP will astound and delight you!

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html