Re: [tlug] DVD Region Issues

On Thursday, January 10, 2013, Nicolas Limare wrote:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 02:38:04PM +0900, Darren Cook wrote:

> The drive *firmware* prevents the *hardware* reading a disk that has a
> region code that does not match what the drive has been set to

Ubuntu doc about DVDs[1] says:

    Most players (eg mplayer/vlc) with most DVD drives are able to
    ignore the value of the region setting.

This has certainly been my experience when playing or backing up DVDs in Linux. I've got a year-old ThinkPad, so the DVD drive must be region-"locked", and I've had no problems with Europe, US, or Asia discs.

--Josh

--
Cheers,
Josh