Re: [tlug] External DVD drive

On 2013-01-08 at 18:32:00, Darren Cook wrote:
>The DVD drive in my notebook is broken, so I was going to buy an
>external one (*). Any recommendations or things to watch out for?

Does the external one need to be portable? Others have mentioned power
requirements and power draw through the USB ports. I have an external
drive, but i only use it at home. So i bought a 5 1/4" enclosure and put
an internal DVD drive in it. The enclosure has its own power supply so
doesn't use USB for power. If you need to take your drive with you, my
solution won't work though; the enclosure is almost as big as a laptop!
One advantage to this idea though is that it might be easier to find a
region-free drive in the internal 5 1/4" form factor.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com