Re: [tlug] External DVD drive

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> Happy so far: it reads data DVDs, region 2 DVD, region 1 DVD...
>
> /usr/sbin/regionset tells me:
>
> RPC Phase: II
> type: NONE
> vendor resets available: 4
> user controlled changes resets available: 5
> drive plays discs from region(s):, mask=0xFF
>
> So it does appear to be region-free out of the box; I wonder if plugging
> it into windows might force a region setting... I won't do that
> experiment just yet :-)

AFAIR, region is set the first time you put DVD-VIDEO disk in it to
the region that this disk is set to.
Whether you need to play it (with software) to set the region or just
load it into the tray and let it initialize it I don't know.

I'll try later on, I think I should have a DVD-VIDEO media somewhere
in the junk boxen.

Kalin.