Re: [tlug] External DVD drive

> The DVD drive in my notebook is broken, so I was going to buy an
> external one...

I got Buffalo DVSM-PC58U2V-BK, which was the cheapest at Bic Camera
(2980 yen, 10% points).

Happy so far: it reads data DVDs, region 2 DVD, region 1 DVD. That is
ironic because the assistant in Bic actually laughed when I asked if any
of the choices were region free (he said such a thing is not sold).
Writing has not been tested yet. The cheapest BluRay drive was about
three times the cost.

Power is interesting: it comes with two USB cables. So far I've only run
it off the data cable, and it is fine (with my notebook on mains, not
battery). So the second cable is optional; maybe I'll need it when
writing. The cables tuck away nicely in the unit itself.

Darren