Re: [tlug] External DVD drive

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:37:39AM +0900, Jim BLACKSON wrote:
> > > The DVD drive in my notebook is broken, so I was going to buy an
> > > external one (*). Any recommendations or things to watch out for?
> > > DVD-R would be nice, but is not essential.
> >
> > I have used this Panasonic external CD/DVD drive for years, but not
> > very intensely.
> > -> http://www.amazon.co.jp/LF-P767C-Panasonic/dp/B0006BEDP6
>
> The Panasonic LF-P867C works nicely for me, but I never tried writing
> a CD/DVD with it.
> -> http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000BC7M94
>
> Came with an external AC adapter, which we rarely use.

The firmware download page has some info about the product line.
-> http://panasonic.jp/support/p3/dvdmulti/download/index.html

Mine, LF-P767C, is from 2005. I forgot to say I wrote about 100 DVDs
and CD with it, but currently only use it to read DVDs with Debian
VLC/XBMC on my entertainment machine (Acer Aspire Revo + Sharp
TV). Jim's, LF-P867C, is from 2007. The latest revision, LF-P968C, is
from 2008 and still sold on amazon, but quite expensive (20000¥
new). There seems to be no revision after 2008, latest products are
probably in the Blu-Ray category.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F