Re: [tlug] Dying Monitor?

On 2012-10-16 15:38, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

Hello Peter,

Hello Kalin, and thanks for responding.

Does your monitor display anything when it is on, but no signal is

coming? Most do show something (e.g. VGA1:No Input).
Disconnect the laptop and see.

Yup, I tried that before, and I noticed similar behavior as when it was connected to the laptop. Namely, sometimes the screen would be "black," and then all of a sudden the "No Signal" message, which I would see when the monitor was not connected to any device, would appear. So that clearly rules out any issues with the laptop. Plus I tried it with another laptop using VGA and observed the same behavior. Clearly the problem is with the monitor itself.

There might be bad connection, most probably on your laptop VGA
connector. Try moving the cable at the laptop side and see if it
connects/disconnects.

I've tried this to no avail. Again, the problem is not with the laptop or the cable. It's with the monitor itself.

If this is your problem and you have warranty - they'll fix it. If you
don't have warranty, you may try it yourself with appropriate
soldering tools&skillz.

I bought the monitor back in 2008 or so as I recall, so I kind of doubt it's still under warranty. And given that I lack the tools and skills to do the soldering myself, it's looking more and more like it may be time to invest in a new monitor.

Thanks for your help,

Peter