Re: [tlug] Dying Monitor?

Hello Peter,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM,  <pjacobs@example.com> wrote:
> Obviously not a Linux-specific question, but I hope you don't mind my
> asking.
>
> I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 245B external monitor that has started acting
> rather strangely.  There are times when I power it on, connect it to my
> laptop, and screen remains completely black. Then after a while, seemingly
> out of the blue, the screen comes on.  And then after another while
> (sometimes anyway), it goes back to black.  The blue power light remains on
> throughout, so I'm thinking it's not an issue with the power supply.

Does your monitor display anything when it is on, but no signal is
coming? Most do show something (e.g. VGA1:No Input).
Disconnect the laptop and see.

There might be bad connection, most probably on your laptop VGA
connector. Try moving  the cable at the laptop side and see if it
connects/disconnects.

Most VGA connectors these days are soldered directly on motherboard
(cheaper) than properly fixed to the chassis and connected with
flexible cables to the motherboard and with some stress they become
unsoldered and even break the motherboard by lifting the solder pads.

If this is your problem and you have warranty - they'll fix it. If you
don't have warranty, you may try it yourself with appropriate
soldering tools&skillz.

Kalin.