Re: [tlug] [OT] plonk [Re: Classes]

Bruno Raoult writes:

 > It is forbidden by the group. Obviously, rules could change if a majority
 > goes for it.

Yes, and the rules probably would change in that case.  TLUG is
basically a direct democracy.

 > As this is not the first time that this top-posting subject comes
 > in, why not asking the whole group what should be the rule?

As you say, we've had the discussion, and there have never been enough
folks in support of flipping the rule.  The point of my lecture notes
is not that either style is better, it's that using both on the same
channel is going to frustrate everybody more than anyone is annoyed by
either style if used consistently.  It has to be a group choice, one
way or the other -- not free choice by individuals.

As is typical in these cases, the group is mostly in favor of no
change, with a few advocates on either side.  (I suspect that most of
those who do really care prefer interlinear, but you're welcome to
take a poll and find out that I'm wrong.)

 > After all, I believe that today 95% of people use top-posting in
 > the world, no?

What the rest of the world does doesn't matter much.  What matters is
what does the rest of TLUG do.  That could (in theory) change, but I
doubt it will.

 > Top posting has some advantages too: You may find all information
 > in one email.

I think that's pretty minor in this kind of group, with long threads,
and in my usage, since I read everything, usually I'm not looking for
*all* information, I'm looking for a particular fact (often an
attribution).  That's typically easier to find by searching through
all mail, for me, anyway.