Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?

Hi Raymond,

2012/05/29 0:28, Raymond Wan wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2012 05:15 PM, satoshi.nagayasu@example.com
wrote:
I recommend #1 option, and have your own experiments to examine
whether SSD benefits your system performance.
Generally speaking, it's safe to say SSD would increase the performance.
But practically, you need to determine a type of workload (or a bottleneck
of workload) that you're running. And it's really fun! :)

That is true.  Actually, the software we are considering are
neither database systems nor Unix tools like 'sort'.  Sorry
for mentioning them in my original post -- they weren't
meant to mislead any of you, but to generalize my question.

The software we are using are actually bioinformatics tools.
   While there are many users, the user base is still tiny
compared PostgreSQL.  So, there aren't many benchmarks that
look into how they perform with combinations of HDDs and SSDs.

Sounds pretty cool.

I built a distributed BLAST system, one of the most popular
software in bioinformatics for similarity search in genome
database, for my master thesis in grad school.
It was really fun! :)

BLAST is a kind of software that has large amount of I/O
operations, particularly sequential read.

If you're using similar software, I recommend you to use SSD
with multi-core CPU to execute multiple queries at once.

You will be able to take advantage of SSD in terms of throughput
(not a single query response), because executing multiple
sequential reads would (theoretically) act as random read
within a single spindle (hard drive).

Regards,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi.nagayasu@example.com>