Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?

Hi Satoshi,

On Monday, May 28, 2012 05:15 PM, satoshi.nagayasu@example.com wrote:
I recommend #1 option, and have your own experiments to examine
whether SSD benefits your system performance.
Generally speaking, it's safe to say SSD would increase the performance.
But practically, you need to determine a type of workload (or a bottleneck
of workload) that you're running. And it's really fun! :)

That is true. Actually, the software we are considering are neither database systems nor Unix tools like 'sort'. Sorry for mentioning them in my original post -- they weren't meant to mislead any of you, but to generalize my question.

The software we are using are actually bioinformatics tools. While there are many users, the user base is still tiny compared PostgreSQL. So, there aren't many benchmarks that look into how they perform with combinations of HDDs and SSDs.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Ray