Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?

On 05/29/2012 08:27 AM, Nava Whiteford wrote:
You'll obviously get some benefit from using SSDs for Bioinformatics, but I know of no Bioinformatics tools that currently take advantage of the constant time random access offered by SSDs.

For example, the alignment tools I know of tend to create reference indexes in memory, and align reads sequentially. So your reference genome and reads both get read sequentially.

What about buying a stack of small ssd's and throwing them all on a raid0. If this is just scratch space, and you have a backup of the original data then the small risk of loosing a drive may be acceptable for the extra io you will gain.

Edward