Re: [tlug] Classes

On 27/05/2012 08:45, Lewske Wada wrote:

> What Americans don't understand is the fact that excellent students
> must bully others. They just think all men and women are created
> equally.
>
> Now I understood what this club is all about. Please accept my
> apology.

I'd argue that the idea would be to learn to use Linux before learning
about how the mechanics work because practical learning is always more
beneficial than theoretical. There's very little point in learning how
to perform some task in code, such as using a function in a shared
library, for example, if you don't know *why* you'd want to do that.

So, I'd agree with Ed that the first thing to do would be to come to
grips with the user side of Linux, and once that part is understood,
move on to a more in-depth study of the beast.

To that end, LFS is an excellent tool. I learned a hell of a lot when I
built my own really barebones distro about 8 years ago. I'm also certain
that I learned much more by doing so after 3 years of using Linux as my
main O/S than had I tried to do so when I first took the plunge.

It's not about elitism or a "you're too stupid to try anything but a
package-based distro" attitude. On the contrary, it's more of a
"package-based distros are great for learning the basics but will
frustrate you if you want to learn more" attitude. It's not about
bullying "inferior" students, it's about doing things in the right
order. It's certainly not about an American with a superiority complex
and I feel that such remarks are rather out of place here.

FWIW, I'm not American, I'm British.

--
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com>