Re: [tlug] Classes

On Sat, 26 May 2012 22:37:27 +0900
Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 9:17 PM, Josh Glover wrote:
> > I was more referring to the fact that even 5 years ago on TLUG, One wouldn't have seen "if you're compiling or setting up Linux from scratch, you're probably doing it wrong" as an answer to "how do I learn more about Linux". :)
>
> You'd better learn about packages first.
> There are a lot more to learn and you have to try them
> more quickly than, say, 10 years ago.
> It holds the same whether you use deb, rpm or macports.

Actually, i think LFS isnt a bad way to learn linux, still today.
The knowledge of how linux works on these low levels gives you a lot
of leverage when debugging problems at higher levels.

You dont have to understand how xorg nowadays detects what hardware
it can use to figure out why it doesnt start. Just have a look at
the venerable /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and you will find out. These things
have not changed. And it's unlikely that they will change in the near
future. Even though some people from the gnome/freedesktop corner are
trying hard to do exactly that.

Or: There is a reason why LPI-1 still has a question about a Modeline in it.
Although i don't know anyone who's written a Modeline by hand in the last
5 years.. maybe even 10 years.

			Attila Kinali
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?