Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:46, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
>> Okay - I'll just wait for one of those mini-truck junk collectors to come by and give those
>> old laptops to them then.
>>
> In case it is not too much, I am interested in the HDDs, even if they
> are wiped. Or if they are working, I can wipe them if required.
>
> Building a digital forensic lab and teaching people, I always need old
> mostly working HDDs.
> Sometimes I find them at Akihabara for 100 yen, but usually they are
> mostly dead, sold as junk.

Ah - I have some.  Still in the cases that slid in the front of that
type of Dynabook.  In fact, I have one that is as it came from the
factory - with the original W3.1 installed and another with the
original (from another machine) OS/2 installed.  Those two really
ought to go to a computer museum (is there such a thing?).  (They came
as extra drives with one of the used Dynabooks - I don't know why they
were bought in the first place).

As for the others - I have a stack of about twelve laptop hard drives
that I want to get rid of, but don't remember what's on them (I have
some idea for some, since I put them in envelopes and wrote on the
envelope what's inside.  Most are 500MB, but there's also a 340MB one
and a 1GB, 1.3GB, 4GB, etc.  Most are Toshiba drives, although the's
also a Fujitsu (manufacturing date 1998-05, unknown size).  I would be
happy to give them to you, but I need to confirm what's on them first.
 If you have a way of showing me what's on them, there are a couple
I'd prefer to keep (or destroy), but most I would be happy to give
you.  (I'll have a look at that Dynabook on the balcony now (I just
heard that one has already gone).  If it got slightly wet from
wind-driven rain, it would still be okay so long as it wasn't powered
up while wet - although it appeared to be dead before I put it out
there.)

Lyle