Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:
> Many moons ago, when I used to work in a place where we repaired
> computers (at a component level, not just by swapping boards out!), most
> mainboards I worked on had NiCd batteries that served as backup power
> for the CMOS memory. I remember having more than one unhappy customer to
> whom I said that I had to change the mainboard anyway because the NiCd
> battery had leaked all over it and corroded half of the copper tracks...

Well, that's interesting.  That would be a logical reason they would
die from just sitting in a nice, dry closet.  Okay - I'll just wait
for one of those mini-truck junk collectors to come by and give those
old laptops to them then.  Thanks for mentioning this - I was trying
to imagine what would go wrong just from sitting and a leaky NiCad
battery (I hate those things - I had to use them when taking analog
video in the early nineties) that has damaged the motherboard would
explain their quiet death.

Lyle