Re: [tlug] Choosing an internet provider

> Check the bottom of each MSG on this ML:
>> The TLUG mailing list is hosted by the award-winning Internet provider
>> ASAHI Net.
>> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/
>
> They have been the best for me in the last 11 years both for work and home.
> Get a FTTH connection if you can.

I'm also on ASAHI-Net, because I read this notice in the mails here and thought, well if they support TLUG, they have to be cool ;)
They offer nearly everything (their website, e-mail support, telephone support, newsletters) also in English, which is very nice.
Speed and reliability are very good. I'm on a FLET'S FTTH Mansion line (100 MBit/s) with them.

I have the feeling, that they throttle you down to a few hundred kbyte/sek if you download too much. (I haven't asked them yet how they justify that.)
The limitation is removed after a short time of not downloading (wild guess: one hour), though.
I only managed to trigger this once, while downloading all of my purchased games on Steam, which amounts to about 200 - 300 Gigabytes of traffic ;)
Starts nicely at 10 MByte/sek and then after several tens of gigabytes goes down to maybe 300 - 400 kbyte/sek.

The other providers probably do the same, though, if not even nastier (like: e-mailing you that you please stop using so much traffic, terminating your contract, etc.)
P2P isn't blocked or limited either (my guess, never asked them, but I don't use it at all, so it doesn't matter anyway to me).

Too bad that they don't offer IPv6 yet, though :(

Philipp