Re: [tlug] How to proceed with RAID drive failure

Josh Glover writes:

 > This is also true of hardware RAID (except for stand-alone storage
 > boxes) in that you have to add the drive to the RAID in some sort of
 > BIOS or by using a CLI tool to instruct the controller to use the
 > disk.
 >
 > Or am I missing something?

Well, I hope you're right, but in the BIOS of the hardware RAID I have
access to (but am not using, mdadm is more flexible) the disks are
identified by drive number, not UUID, in the UI.

That may be just UI and the BIOS actually checks the disk's ID in some
way before using it, but if not, it's possible that just plugging in
the drive in the same place would cause it to be considered part of
the array and reintegrated unless the BIOS was reset.  Be careful!

Yes-I'm-a-clinically-paranoid-sys-admin-in-therapy-why-do-you-ask-ly y'rs,