Re: [tlug] OT: radioactive water

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 16:27, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> should be even ng/kg. If I am right at interpreting the latest figures
>> for Tokyo[1], 2.9Bq/kg from I-131 means that average 2.9 atoms of
>> I-131 decay per second inside 1 kg (1 liter) of water. ...
>> [1]   http://eq.wide.ad.jp/files/110320water_1300.pdf
>>
>> See http://eq.wide.ad.jp/ for more info, but the English translation
>> is lagging a few hours.
>
> BBC is saying levels in Tokyo are now at 210, with 100 being the safe
> level for infants (of course, unfiltered Tokyo tap water has not been
> safe for infants for decades, without needing radioactivity...):
>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12825342
>
> But the latest file at http://eq.wide.ad.jp/, which is 1pm today, is
> showing 19 (5.3 yesterday). Quite different from 210 (I checked, the
> units being quoted are the same). The BBC have not given the source for
> their data, but has anyone seen a different data source?

Yup, they are right unfortunately:
OK, I got something from here:
http://www.waterworks.metro.tokyo.jp/press/h22/press110323-01.html

Saying, today at 09:00 the levels of the 3 plants are (in Bq/kg):
Kanamachi 210
Asaka NG (<20)
Higashi-Murayama 32

Here are the wikipages for those plants:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/金町浄水場
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/朝霞浄水場
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/東村山浄水場

As long as purification goes, a Brita filter works a bit, but you have
to make sure it is checked after some time for residual radiation and
change it more often. This is what I am using and this is what I plan
to use. However, I have a bathtub full of drinking water since last
week. See this memo on how to do it:
http://thinrope.net/gamma/water_reserve.txt

Kalin.