Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 9 March 2011 12:33, Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:

> Because high-level languages do not necessarily generate the
> optimized code as well as humans do.

I think this is a fallacy. I challenge you to profile your code and
show that you can regularly beat gcc with the optimiser turned up.

In my experience (which does not include any embedded development, so
I may be completely wrong here--Jim P?), rolling your own ASM is only
a good idea after you've written it in C, profiled it, found a chunk
that needs to be more efficient, researched alternate algorithms for
that place, and still need more efficiency.

Premature optimisation is the root of all $BAD_STUFF.

> Another reason is you have to write your own initial boot-up code
> anyway no matter what BIOS or higher level compiler you use afterwords.

Sure, but that is a dollop of ASM:

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.37.3/+search=.S

--
Cheers,