Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> Oh!  Thanks for this!  I forgot about the cable company!  They rewired
> the building a couple of years back, but I didn't join it, as I don't
> watch much TV, but that's a definite option!

Depend on the cable company, some only offer a connection behind NAT
only, so make sure before you join.  OTOH, USEN used to give out /29
subnets (5 usable static, global IPs) if you can get their fiber
directly into your home (for standalone houses only I think).

> I remember that TEPCO
> (Tokyo's power company) was doing glass fiber before, but gave it up.

Got bought out by KDDI and merged into their hikari-whatever service,
IIRC.

> that may be why NTT is pushing so hard to get me to sign up for their
> service - they come by in person, they send things in the mail, they
> leave things stuffed in the mailbox, they send faxes, and - lately -
> they are calling every week.

Usually it is not NTT, but some subcontractor that does it by
commission, if you read their pamplet carefully.  The reason that you
get so many calls is probably that you are getting called by several
different subcontractors.  They say they *represent* NTT and try to fool
you into thinking that they are NTT employees, but they are not.

Some does it for KDDI also, it is not an NTT only thing.  Depends on
who's paying the most commission at the moment, I guess.

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>