Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Stephen A. Carter <scarter@example.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/11 21:17, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
>> Thanks for the feedback!  Now I just need to get over my NTT allergy.
>> There are no hikari fiber options are there?  As a rule, if I have an
>> option, I refuse to deal with NTT.
>
> Here in Nagoya, the options include KDDI, Commufa (Chubu Telecom), and
> cable-TV outfit Usen.  I've been using Usen since my condo building got
> wired for optical fiber a few years back, and have no complaints.

Oh!  Thanks for this!  I forgot about the cable company!  They rewired
the building a couple of years back, but I didn't join it, as I don't
watch much TV, but that's a definite option!  I remember that TEPCO
(Tokyo's power company) was doing glass fiber before, but gave it up.
But the cable company!  Yeah... that's something to look into!  And
that may be why NTT is pushing so hard to get me to sign up for their
service - they come by in person, they send things in the mail, they
leave things stuffed in the mailbox, they send faxes, and - lately -
they are calling every week.  They're pushing it, actually, I'm on the
verge of telling them that I have their number and to stop bugging me
about it, but since I do want more speed.  But the cable company...
yes... that's probably it.  They realize I want more speed and they
want to grab me before I go somewhere else.  Options!  Options are
good!

Which brings up another question - how does cable compare to hikari
fiber for both settings and speed?  Are cable companies also using
hikari fiber?

Lyle