Re: [tlug] The wrong kanji

> The problem is that your system is displaying some text using Chinese
> fonts.  From previous posts, I gather that you are running Ubuntu, in
> which the easiest way to solve the issue is to simply remove the
> Chinese fonts:
>
> $ sudo apt-get remove ttf-wqy-*
> $ sudo fontconfig-voodoo -f -s ja_JP

I just discovered, while viewing the emails in this thread, I have the
same problem! (Ubuntu 10.04) That sha kanji is practically the only one
affected it seems.

The chinese character gets used in Thunderbird, and the IME.
In firefox it is more interesting, e.g.
  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BC%9A%E7%A4%BE

The body of the web page shows the correct kanji, while the tab and the
title bar shows the Chinese character.

I want Chinese support, so I tried just running:
   sudo fontconfig-voodoo -f -s ja_JP

but that has made no difference. (Do I need to reboot, or log-off? All I
tried was restarting thunderbird.)
What does fontconfig-voodoo do by the way? All google will tell me is
people need to use it to get Chinese support. Before running the above
line the existing configuration was "Unconfigured". Except for sha, both
Japanese and Chinese are working (including Chinese IME input), so it
doesn't seem essential. (Is it only needed after removing a font, perhaps?)

Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)