Re: [tlug] Debian rant

(2010年09月18日 10:24), Sach Jobb wrote:
I have to agree with Shawn though, I think
the entire idiotology about what the definition of "free" is totally
ridiculous and for the most part is simply wasting vast amounts of
peoples' time. I also fail to see how it has (is?) improving the world
in any way what-so-ever.

I'm no zealot, but if you're going to allow binary blobs as a matter of course, there is a real issue of where to draw the line.

For a USB device that requires firmware to operate, you're saying that while the device is programmable, users should make do with the interface you provide.

I'm certainly not going to be hacking USB device firmware any time soon, but there's almost certainly somebody around who does want to.

Say you accept that that's a reasonable compromise - well then, what about graphics cards? Nvidia's binary drivers provide the OpenGL API which allows me to use all the features of the graphics card. Is that acceptable? It means I can't port the drivers to a new OS, just like the USB device hacker can't tweak his device firmware to do new things.

That's why there's a "non-free" repo. (And no, it's not about price as you well know - I'm not free to kill people without legal consequences, but that doesn't mean I can do it if I pay money). Some people are happy to accept binary blobs, or restrictive licenses, in order to get work done. Others aren't. If you're going to ship something that gives users less flexibility than you have, the non-free repo is where it belongs. That way everybody is happy.

Leo