Re: [tlug] Debian rant

>  > It seems weird to me that to make a Debian package that will load a
>  > binary onto another device, that the src files and tool chain
>  > needed to make that binary be included in the Debian package.
>
> It's entirely unclear what you're talking about.  Is it possible that
> this is just the GPL requirement to include the preferred version of
> the source for modifying the software in any distribution?  If it is,
> it's not a question of "Debian ideology", it's the law.

No that's not the issue.  We include the source for everything and the
toolchain itself is gpl.

What we want to do is include a binary that will be flashed to a third
device.  Debian maintainers are saying that to make a package which
will flash the binary to another device, that we should include the
tool chain to make the binary in the Debian package, and create it as
part of the Debian install.  After it's flashed, the package will
enable the user to communicate write programs for the device.

Yeah, when I think about it, I don't understand it either.

Shawn