Re: [tlug] Japanese fonts look insane in Java [SOLVED]

Shawn, Nikolay, Stephen,

Stephen, I realize different Java applications have different font settings, but there must also be a global default for the JRE, because *all* my Java apps are using this crazy font.

In any case, though, your kludge is a winner. By removing "mikachan" using Synaptic, Java now defaults to a much more tolerable sans-serif font.

I can live without mikachan, but I attempted to gain more control over the situation by editing the font.properties file, as suggested. However, despite several edit attempts, I don't seem to have any control over the fonts the JRE chooses to use.

I'm going to have to leave it at the kludge for now. Hopefully there will be a more user friendly way of managing fonts in the JRE in the future.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!

--
Dave M G