Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On 6/15/10 6:56 PM, Joe Larabell wrote:

>> I blame Japanese television, or more precisely, variety shows....
>>
>> An even bigger influence have the constant subtitles in all colors,
>> often three or four at once.
>>
> I was going to make that point but you beat me to it. Watching Japanese TV
> was like watching a 3-ring circus when I first came over but now I tune
> out a lot of the cruft (unless the interviewee can't speak worth a crap
> and I have to rely on the subtitles to figure out what he's saying ;-)...

the thing that _amazes_ me about Japanese TV is that here's the nation
that invented HD broadcasting, HD cameras, HD televisions, etc. and what
do they use on TV shows (news and variety) _all_ the time?

Paper-based boards to explain this or that.

The worst is the morning news shows where they _cut-out_ the newspaper
and use a red hi-liter!!!!  I mean WTF.  How low tech is this?  I
suppose its cheap but still, I just don't get the reason why they cant
get rid of the paper boards and go electronic.

--
Gen Kanai