Re: [tlug] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

Time to mention (again?) my monster page of links to online
Japanese dictionaries:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/onlinejdic.html

Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> By the way, shortly after posting here, I found information in the FAQ on the Sansei dictionary site alluding to being able to pay about 3000 yen a year for access to their full dictionary catalogue. But try to sign up for it. Just try. What's Japanese for "byzantine"...? I still haven't been able to create an account or find an online shopping cart of any kind.

Kenkyusha has a very nice online collection for a fee. There's even
an English guide to subscribing.

Dave also asked:

> GG5? "Get Gorgeous" season 5?

Translator slang. GG = Green Goddess, i.e. Kenkyusha's big New
Japanese English Dictionary. 5 = 5th edition (2003). The online
version is continuously updated.

Martin Killmann <martin@example.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether 補佐官 is a term that's used often outside of
> longer compounds. I did find entries for compounds such as...
>
> アメリカ合衆国大統領首舌皛逅跂勉闕佐官 (White House Chief of Staff)
> 首相補佐官
> 内閣総理大臣補佐官
> CIO補佐官

Eijiro has examples such as:
議員の補佐官 : congressional aide
首相の補佐官 : support personnel for the prime minister
補佐官の一人を解雇する : fire one of one's aides

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University