Re: [tlug] [Lingo] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On 15 June 2010 03:02, s smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 9:23 AM, Dave M G wrote:
>> For example, I recently looked up the word 補佐官. Neither dictionary
>> had an entry for it.
>>

> First, let me say that I like WWWJDict.  It's the only dictionary I know
> of that's really meant for English speakers learning Japanese.  But
> sometimes I think it's a bit too complete.

It's a delicate balance. You can cut it down to ~25k entries if you like, but
you won't find 補佐官 then.

> When I looked up 補佐官 on/dic.yahoo.co.jp, I was refered to 補佐 and 官
> which are 'aid' and 'government service' respectively.  From WWWJDict,
> pronunciation of 補佐官 is ほさかん and of 補佐-官 (as two separate
> words) is ほさ-かん..
>
> So what I'm wondering is would the Japanese define 補佐官  as one word
> or two.

Two I think, whereas in English many of the XX官 equivalents are one
word. The good JEs such as GG5 have 補佐官, etc.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University