Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

S Smith,

Thank you for responding.
So what I'm wondering is would the Japanese define 補佐官  as one word
or two.

I don't think it should matter. If combination like 新車 can get it's own entry, then a combination like 補佐官 should be just as eligible for inclusion.

And there's no excuse for a word like 総理 not having it's own entry (in Sansei. Goo has it at least).

There's clearly some line being drawn about what to include online, but I don't think it's based on how elementary a compound is.

By the way, shortly after posting here, I found information in the FAQ on the Sansei dictionary site alluding to being able to pay about 3000 yen a year for access to their full dictionary catalogue. But try to sign up for it. Just try. What's Japanese for "byzantine"...? I still haven't been able to create an account or find an online shopping cart of any kind.

--
Dave M G