Re: [tlug] Force no scaling on Android browser?

Dave M G writes:
 > Stephen,
 >
 > Thanks for replying.
 >
 > I tried this:

 > minimum-scale=1.0" />
 >
 > ... but still no joy.

How about

Have you tried with a trivial page such as

<head>
<title>Test the meta viewport element</title>
<head>
<h1>Test the meta viewport element</h1>
<!-- insert ipsum lorem here>

and then vary the values of width and height in the meta tag?  Then
add size constraints via CSS?  I have a feeling that what you're
seeing is an interaction between the content you have and the viewport
spec.  Are you sure that righthand whitespace isn't being pulled in by
your content or CSS somewhere (perhaps due to bugs in the Android
browser?)

 > On the CSS discussion list I belong to, someone recommended I use
 > "media" specifications in CSS:
 > http://www.insideria.com/2010/05/building-web-sites-optimized-f.html
 >
 > When I read that, I feel like 10 years experience in writing CSS just
 > went down the tubes and I might as well have just started
 > yesterday.

Huh?  That article is saying that in CSS3 you have the option to use
CSS to adapt the same content to different devices.  Once you've done
that, all your skills should be useful.

I have to say I'm not real impressed by the several articles on this
that Google brought up.

 > All I want is for no resizing to take place. How can it be this
 > hard?

The world is complex.  Users demand scaling for these devices.
Controlling user features programmatically is hard.