Re: [tlug] I'm done with MySQL

On 2009-10-23 09:38 -0400 (Fri), Orlando Echevarria wrote:

> I'm in agreement with the prior comment about PHP, I hate the
> language, very poorly designed....

While the original design was quite poor, PHP 5 is not so bad. It's not
Ruby, but the language itself is not so different from Java, really. The
libraries are showing their age, but then again, that's true of a lot of
langugaes.

> To me, JSP....

Looking at it from my distant vantage point, I'm not sure I see much
difference.

> Now with MySQL, we, I guess you can call me a fan boy, I love it; its
> definitely not Oracle or Sybase but for free, similar to PostGres, its
> a good db....

PostgreSQL falls a lot closer to Oracle and Sybase than it does MySQL.
None of them are brilliant as far as one of the primary features of an
RDBMS: making sure that the propositions (rows) you enter are not nonsense,
but MySQL is by far the worst of the lot.

Accepting "February 29th" as a date in a non-leap year is
unsophisticated. Accepting "Feburary 30th" is just wrong. Accepting
"February 0th" is just insanity.

The MySQL approach of "do a full integrity check on your data with every
query, and somehow handle it then if it's broken" (or the more usual
approach with MySQL, produce nonsensical answers) is one of the things
that RDBMSes were designed to solve. MySQL failed utterly there.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com