Re: [tlug] System security and public policy [was: Anyone seen this gizmo yet?]

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 17:20, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:
I beg to differ on one count.

Yes, vendors should be made financially accountable for failures of their
software that lead to damages to the systems of and/or financial loss
suffered by its users. However, until that becomes a reality, users must be
made aware of the risks that they run in using that software. If they still
don't care then that's their problem and they should face the consequences.

Ohhh... Do you mean a few hundred thousand (even if million dollars ) licence
fees for a booking system could pay a loss in case of a big failure in a bank?

No way, sorry. These companies cannot even get an insurance to cover them...

They will just offer bug-fixes, support, etc... But surery not cover any financial loss.

So we will always stick on your sentence: "users must be made aware of the risks
that they run in using that software". And they will to assume them (I mean risks).

This will be always their (user) responsability...

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.