Re: [tlug] Anyone seen this gizmo yet?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Gen Kanai writes:

> I think mainly it's because that the manufacturers don't think that > Japanese users will purchase Linux netbooks.

There's more to it than that.  There's a herd mentality in Japanese
industry, and a very strong sense of obligation to past contractual
partners.  Nobody wants to break with the mainstream, and everybody
fears retaliation by Microsoft (which is effectively sanctioned by the
government).  Nor do they really want to hurt Microsoft; that business
has been good for them.

I think you are exactly right in explaining Japanese business culture
which is placing a high value on a long term relationship of mutual trust too much.

And furthermore, I think, with a help of a long term relationship of mutual trust, people are not well informed about the critical security vulnerability of Windows OS here.

I think MS Japan is achieving their business target too well here
under the circumstances that people are never informed
how NMAP can easily scan opening ports on MS servers
and malicious guys can easily overflow MS OS buffers memory by sending a huge amount of data
and steal credit cards data on them.

Here, people are clearly not informed that
most malwares and viruses are Windows compatible by MS propaganda :-(

In this situation,
MS Japan is building too strong brand just as GUCCI and CHANEL are having here.

The situation is too different in Europe
where many people think that "Bil* Gate* is evil"
and EU authority is banning MS as a criminal of monopoly.

Surprisingly, I have not met any Japanese man or woman
who knows what NMAP can do and how it works on MS Windows.

Maybe, people could be aware of MS vulnerability
just when they lose a lot of money
by losing credit cards and privacy information in the near future :-)

Sotaro