Re: [tlug] search for encrypted information exchange

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 23:57, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
[blablabla]

> I'm not sure that we're pretending. Consider that if you don't know what
> you're talking about, you would be quite likely to think that you do.

Did you drink, tonight?

> I just said: "no data I care about". And yes, I know about browser caches,
> etc...

Right. So if you never use your browser, why don't you just come out and
say so, rather than being all coy? You have to admit, that's pretty darn
unusual behaviour for the user of a personal computer.

Well... If you read me, you will understand me...

Certainly not. If you make it a practice to close your safe only when
there's something valuable in it, you've now given your attackers the
ability to determine when it is or is not worth attacking.

Oh... Sorry, I don't agree...

Unfortunately, you are, at least in the sense that you chose a
particularly bad and misleading way to explain this.

You certainly set it up to compare your extremely unusual situation to
that of an average user (because you didn't describe how different it
really is), and that could mislead said average user into thinking he
doesn't need encryption either. That's a big disservice to the security
community and those they serve.

Please relax...

br.

--