Re: [tlug] search for encrypted information exchange

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 03:54, Joshua B. <juggins@example.com> wrote:
Bruno you've offered up yourself as an example of best practices in
secure computing but refuse to elaborate. If you're strategy is so
effective, please be generous enough to share and let others benefit.

I already wrote it in my first post: I have nothing to hide on my laptop.
I use it for video editing only, when I go on holidays. So yes, you could get
these videos, and you could get some information such as where I spent
my last holidays. Good. But I will be happy to tell it to everybody anywa

I agree that best practises are often relevant. But I would like everybody to
understand that security depends on what you have to secure.
A "baguette" (french bread) is not secured the same way as a gold bar.

For me, a laptop is just a container (such as a fridge or a safe or a home).
They have different security levels, because of their contents. Do we at least
agree on that?
If yes, can we say that if my safe is empty, I don't need to close it? Where is
is different from a laptop?

That was my whole point: Security is only necessary where you need it.

If it's not, be humble enough to share and let others enjoy a small
laugh at your expense. Or continue with option three: perpetuate a
mystery and continue to be bombarded with speculation.

You may laugh at me, of course. But I don't have the feeling to be a fool
on this particular subject (i.e. trying to adapt the security depending on the
contents, not on the container itself).

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.