Re: [tlug] Slow Cautious Migration from Windows to Linux (was Replacing text in multiple files - under Windows)

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:29:53 -0400
jep200404 <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> The big slow cautious migration I would do would be:
>
> 1. Split hard drive.
> 2. Install virtualization friendly Linux in new partition or _drive_.
> 3. Install Linux and Windows virtual machines within Linux within
>    that partition.
> 4. If possible, use _existing_ installation of Windows
>    in virtual machine within Linux.

If I do this, it better be the slow and cautious route. I definitely
need to keep the XP on this system intact because I need to get work
done on it.

I think I'll use a USB thumb drive first, put Linux on that and
configure all the stuff I need, like access to my directory on the file
server, mails etc.

Once I have a working system, I can think about fancy VM stuff etc.

> BTW, be careful about doing things "below the radar of company IT".
> Best keep your chain of command informed.

Yeah, you're right. It was more a tongue-in-cheek comment, it's not a
good idea to irk company IT when they decide who gets fancy new hardware
etc.

Martin