Re: [tlug] Slow Cautious Migration from Windows to Linux (was Replacing text in multiple files - under Windows)

On 2009-07-30 10:32 +0900 (Thu), Martin Killmann wrote:

> I think I'll use a USB thumb drive first, put Linux on that and
> configure all the stuff I need, like access to my directory on the file
> server, mails etc.

If your system has an external SATA interface, I'd just buy a SATA
hard drive and external enclosure, and use that. You can get a 2.5"
one if you value small size and portability, or a 3.5" one if you want
something a bit faster and much larger. It will run much faster than
USB, in fact at the same speed as your internal hard drive.

If you don't have an external SATA interface, but you're allowed to open
the machine, it ought to be easy to install one. I'd guess it's just a
small panel that fills the slot in the back panel of the case near the
PCI card motherboard slots, and has a cable that plugs into one of the
internal SATA connectors.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com