Re: [tlug] Slow Cautious Migration from Windows to Linux (was Replacing text in multiple files - under Windows)

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:29:53AM -0400, jep200404 wrote:
> Martin Killmann wrote:
>
> > Maybe I should reserve some time next week, split the harddrive and get
> > a real OS on the damn thing... See you next week in a thread called "how
> > to get a Linux install below the radar of company IT"...
>
> 3. Install Linux as _application_ within Windows. (feeble VM)
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoLinux
>    The last time I looked, it was feeble and not well maintained.
>
> 4. Install Linux in a virtual machine within Windows.
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware

As a further variant, not requiring installation of an application
(often forbidden on company boxen) but only starting an
application from cd or usbstick:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

Its qemu, emulating a linux, providing useful environment.
If local applications can be installed colinux or andlinux.org
of course are faster than qemupuppy.

Christian